Evangelical Theological Seminary
About Our Partner
Evangelical Synod of the Nile (the Higher Council of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Egypt)
ETSC was founded in 1863 on the houseboat Ibis, which was used as a floating seminary for theological studies and practical training. In 1926, the main campus in Cairo was established. The geographical reach of ETSC increased due to the opening of two extension campuses in Minia (150 miles south Cairo) and Alexandria (140 miles north Cairo.) Sixty-three students are enrolled in the extension campuses in addition to 260 students on the Cairo campus. Distance Learning technology has enabled the professors to lecture simultaneously to students gathered in two locations for a particular class, saving them the weekly commute by train to these cities. With a robust mission department, an increasing number of students are feeling the call to go beyond Egypt to proclaim the Good News, with Sudan and Iraq being of special focus. A new Center for Middle East Christianity serves pastors and scholars who seek to deepen their understanding of the context of the Church over its long history in the region.
ETSC is training over 300 students each year to serve the Church in Egypt and beyond. In 2017, ETSC witnessed 52 students graduate: four Master of Theology graduates, eleven Master of Divinity, twenty-eight Master of Arts in Theology and nine Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership.
The Outreach Foundation is seeking gifts totaling
$10,000 a month for scholarships and operations, $20,000 for the Center for Middle East Christianity, and $80,000 for capital improvements of a newly purchased flat that will expand program capabilities.